Energy, Environment and Natural Resourcesall practices
ANG provides legal services to investors in the Energy, Environment and Natural Resources sectors, assisting them in the setting up of appropriate legal structure necessary for their business operations, as well as in the realization of their projects in Bulgaria. ANG also advises State authorities regarding the setting up and implementation of large scale energy infrastructure projects in Bulgaria.
Our work includes participating in negotiations, preparation and drafting of legal opinions on different sector-specific issues, preparation of applications for governmental approvals, advice on project finance matters, tax structures and environmental regulations, relations with the responsible public authorities and litigation.
During the years ANG has built almost unrivaled practice in the energy sector sought out by large energy groups, private investors and governmental institutions.
Some of ANG’s representative projects in the field of Energy, Environment and Natural Resources are:
- ANG rendered full scope legal services to Interconnector Greece Bulgaria -ICGB and its shareholders - Bulgarian Energy Holding, Edison International and DEPA in relation to the strategic project for construction and operation of a natural gas pipeline between Bulgaria and Greece aiming to secure diversification of gas supply routes in South-East Europe.
- ANG provided legal advice on tax and deal structuring matters to Areva NP SAS in relation to its participation as a subcontractor of the main contractor in the project for construction of Bulgaria’s second nuclear power plant Belene.
- ANG, in consortium with two leading consulting companies on the Bulgarian market – KPMG Bulgaria and SWEKO Bulgaria, was selected by the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works to perform a large spectrum of high level consultancy services to help put in practice the significant reforms in the Water Supply and Sewerage sector.
- ANG was invited as a special counsel to the Ministry of Economy and Energy and the National Electric Company in several rounds of negotiations with the Russian nuclear energy state corporation Rosatom in view of incorporating the joint project company for construction and operation of the second nuclear power plant in Bulgaria, Belene NPP.
- Our team advised Alpine Bau GmbH, one of the largest construction companies in Europe, on the company’s business undertakings related to the €450 million hydro power project Tsankov Kamak and other major investment and infrastructure projects.
- ANG was engaged as legal consultant on dozens renewable energy projects inducing due diligence, acquisition, construction and development of wind, hydro and solar power plants across the country.
- The firm advised Dalkia (recently Veolia Energy), the leading European supplier of energy services, on numerous regulatory and legal issues arising from the company’s businesses, acquisitions and plants in Bulgaria.
- ANG has participated in two projects financed by the Danish Environmental Protection Agency as consultants to Niras A/S, Denmark and the Bulgarian Ministry of Environment and Water regarding the introduction of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme in Bulgaria. ANG team was involved in the drafting of the Bulgarian regulations for the application of Regulation No 2216/2004 concerning a system of standard and secured registries, as well as the regulations for implementation of projects under the Track 1 procedure of the Joint Implementation mechanism under the Kyoto Protocol.
- The firm provides full scope legal services to Ecopack Bulgaria, the first and largest organization for recovery of packaging waste, member of Pro Europe and Green Dot licensees Family. Our team advises the organization on all aspects of the environmental regulatory framework relating to recovery of packaging waste.
- ANG provided litigation services to Basalt Bulgaria - subsidiary of Basalt-Actien-Gesellschaft - one of the world’s leading producers of building materials in relation to two projects for mining concessions undertaken by the company.