EU Lawall practices
ANG has an in-depth knowledge of European law, the firm’s extensive experience focuses particularly on comparing EU and Bulgarian law and advising on the correct implementation of EU legislation at national level. Some of our lawyers have internal EU experience, working in the European Commission, the EU courts or participating in other important initiatives affecting the European community. We often serve as legal experts on the teams of international consultancy projects advising Bulgarian authorities in the process of alignment of Bulgarian legislation with EU law and standards.
We are pioneers in the conduct of EU law-related litigations, including infringement procedures before EU and national courts. Our experts frequently advise the European Commission on matters connected to the implementation of EU legislation in Bulgaria, proper application of EU funds or on other complex issues involving the interests of the Commission on Bulgarian soil.
Among our most representative assignments in this field are the following:
- Legal experts of ANG were part of the team on a World Bank project within the Advisory Program for the Development and Implementation of a Water Supply and Sanitation Strategy in connection with the implementation in Bulgaria of Directive 91/271/EEC concerning urban waste-water treatment.
- ANG has participated in two projects financed by the Danish Environmental Protection Agency as consultants to Niras A/S, Denmark and the Bulgarian Ministry of Environment and Water regarding the introduction of the EU Emissions Trading Scheme in Bulgaria. ANG team was involved in the drafting of the Bulgarian regulations for the application of Regulation No. 2216/2004 concerning a system of standard and secured registries, as well as the regulations for implementation of projects under the Track 1 procedure of the Joint Implementation mechanism under the Kyoto Protocol.
- ANG experts assisted the international consultancy company Ove Arup & Partners in the implementation of the Management of Unit Integrated Urban Transport project, launched by the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works. The project encompassed assessment of the compliance of Bulgarian legislation with Regulation (EC) No 1370/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on public passenger transport services by rail and by road.
- ANG represents the Bulgarian subsidiary of Swissport International, recognized as the biggest independent global ground handling services provider, before the European Commission in the context of a procedure against Bulgaria for infringement of EU law by failing to apply Council Directive 96/67/EC on access to the ground-handling market at Community airports.
- In a project assigned by the Bulgarian Investment Agency, ANG performed a comparative analysis of the legal framework for realization and management of direct foreign investments in Bulgaria and the legislation in the field of 8 European countries. Our team identified missing elements and inconsistencies in the Bulgarian primary and secondary legislation and drafted suggestions for amendments.
- ANG represents the European Commission for the purposes of the enforcement in Bulgaria of Commission’s decisions as provided in art. 299 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.
- ANG was the Bulgarian law firm participating in the EBRD financed project Comparative assessment of the legislation in the field of concessions, focused on the evaluation of concession laws in each of the countries of operation of EBRD. ANG, in cooperation with Gide Loyrette Nouel, was selected as a consultant of the Bulgarian government on the project Enhancement of the coordination and monitoring in the course of concessions implementation launched by the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria. The services performed included review of the relevant concession and PPP regulation and good practices in a number of EU member states, preparation of suggestions for improvement of the forms of PPPs in Bulgaria.