PPP, Concessions and Infrastructureall practices
ANG enjoys the reputation of being one of the clear market leaders in the PPP, Concessions and Infrastructure domain. Our law firm has been actively involved in several of the biggest concession and infrastructure projects in Bulgaria, advising both private investors and State authorities. We excel into a wide variety of sectors - from major public utilities and communal services (water and waste water services, waste collection, central heating or street lighting), through critical water and energy facilities (dams and cascades, power plants and transmission systems) to a large scale transport infrastructure projects (roads, railroads, seaports and airports).
ANG has a substantial experience in drafting pre-concession analysis and feasibility studies, as well as in the preparation of tender documentation, engineering projects and subcontract agreements. Along with the possession of first hand expertise in the legal management of concessions, the firm disposes of know-how related to the private financing of state-owned infrastructure.
The firm managing partner Mrs. Svetlana Ganeva is a recognized leading Bulgarian and European expert in the concession and PPP field.
Below are listed some of ANG’s representative projects in the field of PPP, Concessions and Infrastructure:
- The firm was selected to assist the leading global operator of water services, Veolia Water, in the acquisition of the controlling interest in Sofyiska Voda (Sofia Water), the concessionaire of the water and wastewater system of Sofia. Following the successful acquisition, ANG has been advising Veolia Water on a wide range of matters inherent to the concession of water supply and wastewater services. ANG has advised Veolia Energy in relation to the possible legal mechanisms in Bulgaria for provision of energy services through concessions, public private partnerships and public procurements.
- ANG, in cooperation with the international law firm Gide Loyrette Nouel, was assigned by the Ministry of Transport, Information Technologies and Communications the overall preparation of the concession procedure for the award of concession over the Varna and Bourgas International Airports. ANG was once again selected as consultant by the Ministry to carry out all preparatory stages and analyses (technical, financial-economic, legal and ecological) for a concession over the State-owned Plovdiv International Airport.
- ANG, in cooperation with Gide Loyrette Nouel, was selected as a consultant of the Bulgarian government on the project Enhancement of the coordination and monitoring in the course of concessions implementation launched by the Council of Ministers. The services performed included review of the relevant concession and PPP regulation and good practices in a number of EU member states, preparation of suggestions for improvement of the forms of PPPs in Bulgaria.
- ANG was the Bulgarian law firm participating in the EBRD financed project Comparative assessment of the legislation in the field of concessions. The project provided an evaluation of concession laws in each of the countries of operation of EBRD.
- ANG experts assisted the international consultancy company Ove Arup & Partners in the implementation of the Management of Unit Integrated Urban Transport Project, launched by the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works. The project encompassed assessment of the compliance of Bulgarian legislation with Regulation (EC) No 1370/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on public passenger transport services by rail and by road.
- ANG assisted one of the largest construction companies in Europe - Alpine Bau GmbH in connection to the company’s business undertakings in the country related to the €450 million Hydro Power Project Tsankov Kamak and other big investment and infrastructure projects.
- ANG represented successfully Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works and its Road Infrastructure Agency in all stages of major arbitration proceedings against a large road construction company heard by the International Court of Arbitration with the International Chamber of Commerce in Paris.
- Our team advised Porr Bau GmbH in relation to two large scale investment projects launched by the National Railway Infrastructure Company for the construction and engineering works associated with BGN 100 million modernization of a part of the railway system in Bulgaria.
Among other concession and PPP projects where ANG provided legal advice are: the Russe Airport concession, Varna & Shumen water and waste water services concession, concessions of dams and water facilities, waste management services and landfills, Gas Interconnector Greece - Bulgaria, mining concession projects etc.